Wednesday, August 29, 2007

We live in a Clockwork Orange World

If you ever happened to look at my personal profile you will see that a favorite movie of mine is A Clockwork Orange.

Not that it's such an inspiring flick. But it defines a depth of degradation that when it came out in 1971 exhibited such a horror of life no one ever thought we would ever get to.

We are there.

I compare the following:
  • "You've proved to me that all this ultra-violence and killing is wrong, wrong, and terribly wrong. I've learned my lesson, sir. I see now what I've never seen before. I'm cured, praise God! . . . I see that it's wrong! It's wrong because it's like against society. It's wrong because everybody has the right to live and be happy without being tolchocked and knifed."--Alex de Large (Malcolm McDowell) in "A Clockwork Orange," 1971

  • "First, I want to apologize, you know, for all the things that--that I've done and that I have allowed to happen. . . . I was ashamed and totally disappointed in myself to say the least. . . . I want to apologize to all the young kids out there for my immature acts and, you know, what I did was, what I did was very immature so that means I need to grow up. . . . I feel like we all make mistakes. It's just I made a mistake in using bad judgment and making bad decisions. And you know, those things, you know, just can't happen. Dog fighting is a terrible thing, and I did reject it."--dogfighting conspirator and erstwhile NFL star Michael Vick, Aug. 27, 2007
Just to dig up my tired old slippery slope again. We are on it and sliding rapidly to Gomorrah.

No comments: